Friday, September 28, 2012

"Out of Sight, Out of Mind"

My grandmother used to say that when she accused of us not visiting her often enough.  She was always joking, mostly, because we visited her all the time and always thought about her and bought her gifts when we were out and about without her.  But I've found, since I moved away from my family, that this is true.

Maybe it's just my SAD kicking in, but the fact that they never call me and I've had two visits from family members in the past thirteen years.  That, to me, sounds like "out of sight, out of mind."

Then, again, maybe I'm just whining.  I hate this time of year.  My mood swings worse than a carnival ride.  I used to travel home at least twice a year and that seemed enough to me.  It did bother me that I was always the one traveling, but I felt like I was going home and coming back to Indiana felt like was just a temporary resting place.  But I'm here now, I live here and it feels like home here.  So I haven't been going home as often.  And I can't afford to go home as often.  And I would understand if family didn't have money to travel either.  But they do.  They travel all the time.  But they never travel to see me.  "Out of sight, out of mind."

No comments:

Post a Comment